Latinos in College website

Advanced

How do you know what school is good for you?

Posted by maria marta 
maria marta
How do you know what school is good for you?
September 13, 2009 04:33AM
With so many choices, how do you figure out what school is good for you? I like to go away from home (in chicago) but I am not sure if i want to go to a private university or a state one because they are all expensive if you go out of your state anyway. And state schools are really big, arent' they? I don't know where to start. Can you please help me?
Re: How do you know what school is good for you?
September 13, 2009 07:12PM
Hi Maria,

There are a number of factors to consider when choosing a school. One is choosing between public or private universities. Public universities are less expensive than private universities. However, private universities offer scholarships and grants to help their students (so don't ignore these schools). Other factors are diversity of school (percentage of other Latinos and minority groups), size, and location. If you decide to go out of state, you want to make sure that you will feel comfortable on your campus. Visit college's websites to see percentage of students, what the surrounding area is like, and what support they have to offer to their Latino students. Finally, you want to make sure that you go to a university that will offer you a great program in your area of study. All of this requires a lot of research so make sure to start now!

Check with your school to see if they offer College Fairs so that you can meet with representatives from different colleges to get more information. Also, if you have the time and money, you may want to visit some campuses to get a feel of what they offer.

Finally, don't let money impede you from attending the university of your choice. There are many scholarships to help finance your education. Keep that in mind as you do your research.

Good luck!

Jazmin

--
Jazmin Cameron, LIC Advisor
www.latinosincollege.com
I'm a junior in a high school in Sacramento and when I look at the differnt uninversities in CA it's hard to figure out what are the differences. I know UCLA and Berkeley have great reputations but are the other schools in the CA state system very different? Anyone can give me some information about this? THanks!
Amber George
April 19, 2010 03:33PM
Hi Juan,

The schools within the CA state system can be different. First, you need to decide what factors are important to you and then research those elements of schools. For example, if you like smaller schools, look at how many students are enrolled at each school. If you like a more academically rigorous school, look at the average SAT scores and average GPAs of admitted students and graduating students. If you have a particular major or area of study in mind, pay special attention to what each school has to offer in that department.

To get a better feel for the campuses, try to take a trip to visit the ones you are most interested in attending. If you can't visit them, call the admissions office and set up a phone meeting with one of the counselors. Ask them what the strengths of the campus are, and make sure you particularly ask about what you are interested in studying. Sometimes you can even correspond with a student representative who can give you a students perspective and answer some of your questions.

Best,
Amber George
Elizabeth
May 03, 2010 04:00PM
Check a blog on this website that talks about differences in CA state schools. I think the writer slept overnight at a couple of them. Maybe that'll give you an idea. There's nothing like visiting the campuses, though. That's what happened to me when I was choosing schools in FL.
Teresita
May 09, 2010 06:23AM
I actually chose a large stae school that I thought would be good 'cause I could meet lots of people but then I realized it was hard for me to study there and I transferred to smaller school where I'm much happier. The experience ein the larger university was valuable, though so even if you make a mistake, most of the times you can fix it later. What's improtant is taht first step to get into college.
you can also ask people you know what colelges they went to and why they liked it or not. That can help you figure out if a school's for you or not
Hi guys, I'm a high school junior and I'm writing 'cause I want to go to the University of Chicago with a couple of my friends but my parents would like for me to stay local in Houston. Seriously? I've been dying to go away to college and although they've never said anything openly, now they are against it. What could I do to get them to change their minds?
Thanks!
Elena
PS: I think this website rocks!
July 10, 2010 04:31PM
Hi Elena,

The key here is communication. It may be best to sit down with your parents and discuss the reason why you want to go to the University of Chicago. It may help to show them brochures or pamphlets that discuss the university and even explain your decision to go to this specific one. Talk to them about your specific program and major and get them engaged. It may be hard for your parents to let you go away on your own and they may just be worried. You may want to ask their reasons for being against this move so that you understand where they are coming from.

Know that you are not the only one who has gone through this! There are many students, especially within the Latino community, whose parents fear letting them out into the world. Make sure you explain yourself and let them know that you are making this decision to pursue your education.

Feel free to ask us more questions if you need further advice. Good luck!

-Jazmin