Latinos in College website
Gregorio
Hard to get mentors to respond
April 30, 2011 01:08PM
Hi LIC team!
thanks for this awesome forum. I hope you can help me. I have someone who I consider my mentor. He's a college professor I really like. I took his statistics course last year and we connected really well. He's been advicing me on my courses and things I may like to do wiht my career. But it's really, really hard to get him to set up meetngs with me to talk. Do you have suggestions on how I can get him to spend some time with me?
Thanks!
Gregorio
Re: Hard to get mentors to respond
May 03, 2011 07:46PM
Gregorio,

Professors usually have office hours. Have you checked to see when he holds those?

He may have an extremely busy schedule. So see if you can schedule meetings possibly after his classes or before.

I hope this helps!

- Jazmin
Amber George
Re: Hard to get mentors to respond
May 08, 2011 08:46AM
Hi Gregorio,

It sounds like your mentor is very busy, but definitely willing to help and adivse you. I would see if you could be flexible and work with his schedule as much as possible and maybe multitask your meetings. For example, see if he can meet with you during lunch so you can eat while talking. Or perhaps meeting for coffee in the mornings. He will definitely appreciate this!

Best,
Amber George