Latinos in College website

Advanced

Filling out the Selective Service Proof of Registration form

Posted by Raul 
hello my name is Raul

and im 38 years old, and im trying to to get financial aid for the 2010-2011 academic year. the they want me to fill up an application for the - Selective Service Proof of Registration...but i dont know how to fill it up...

this is my situation i came to the USA in feb 90 with a tourist visa and i overstayed in the country from 1990 to 1995 i was 23
then i came back in the 2002 illegally with 30 years old now thaks God im a legal resident

i was hoping you can help me how to fill up the right way this form and get my financial aid to get into college
and i dont know how to fill up this information im scared of writing anything wrong cause i dont understand this part

NON CITIZEN / ALIEN
Date you entered the United States for the first time:
USCIS (Formerly INS) status at time of entry:
List all alien status(es) held since entering the country, and give dates:
(Attach separate sheet if necessary)

Non Citizen / Alien:
• If you entered the United States for the first time after your 26th birthday, you must provide documentation to support
your claim. Valid documentation includes: entry stamp in your passport, I-94 with entry stamp on it, or a letter from the
Bureau of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) indicating the date you entered the United States. If
you entered the United States illegally after your 26th birthday, you must provide proof that you were not living in the
United States from age 18 to age 26. Please note: your Resident Alien Card (Green Card) is not valid as proof of entry
to the United States.
• If you entered the United States as a valid non-immigrant alien, and remained in that status to your 26th birthday, you
must provide documentation to support your claim. For example, if you entered the United States as an F-1 Student,
and remained in that status until your 26th birthday, you would need to provide documentation indicating that you were
admitted on an F-1 visa and attended school full-time as required. (Acceptable documents for this situation include
copies of your I-20’s or a letter from the school you attended indicating your full time attendance as a non-immigrant
alien). The same thing applies for all non-immigrant statuses. You must explain, if at any point, you violated the terms
of your visa, or overstayed your visa and became an undocumented alien.

thanks you so much
Raul
Elsie Vasquez, immigration attorney
Re: Filling out the Selective Service Proof of Registration form
January 27, 2011 10:25AM
Raul,
This question is very complicated because according to FAFSA, you should have registered for the selective service in order to submit the FAFSA. In this case, you first entered the United States when you were 23 years old and you were supposed to register, but then you departed and came back as a 30 year old man.

For FAFSA purposes, you should provide proof that you entered with a tourist visa, and at this time, you were not required to register. The problem is that you remained illegally until your 23rd birthday and did not register. Then you should state that you reentered illegally when you were 30 years old. You are not going to have a proof of entry because obviously you entered illegally. But you should try to look for other forms of evidence such as doctor's records showing that you were 30 years old when you began living in the United States. Maybe affidavits by people in the community attesting to the fact that you were 30 years old when you entered the United States. Any government issued identification, if any.

The problem that I see is that you have to make sure that the information that you provided to USCIS (immigration services) when you obtained your residency is going to be consistent with what you are going to state now in the FAFSA application. You have to be VERY careful with this.

You should call the selective registration service at 1-888-655-1825 (www.sss.gov) and obtained a letter from them stating that you were not required to register. This letter can then be provided to FAFSA.

You should also call the FAFSA services because the FAFSA instructions do not provide a clear answer about this.

And as with any legal situation or question that you may have, please contact a lawyer BEFORE you fill out a form you don't clearly understand. And keep in mind that the information we provide you in this forum is generic and is not intended to replace your personal engagement of an attorney.

Good luck,

Elsie Vasquez
www.elsievasquezlaw.com